Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Veterinary Clinics: Exotic Animal Practice
American Veterinary Medical Association. U.S. Pet Ownership & Demographics Sourcebook (2007 Edition). 2007. Available at: http://www.avma.org/reference/marketstats/sourcebook.asp. Accessed September 14, 2010.
- Current British attitudes to perioperative analgesia for cats and small mammals.Vet Rec. 1999; 145: 601-604
- Current British veterinary attitudes to perioperative analgesia for dogs.Vet Rec. 1999; 145: 95-99
- Neuropathic pain in a cat post-amputation.Aust Vet J. 2006; 84: 83-86
- Prevalence and characteristics of pain in dogs and cats examined as outpatients at a veterinary teaching hospital.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2004; 224: 1459-1463
- A multimodal approach to management of suspected neuropathic pain in a prairie falcon (Falco mexicanus).J Avian Med Surg. 2009; 23: 209-213
- Development of a behaviour-based scale to measure acute pain in dogs.Vet Rec. 2001; 148: 525-531
- Application of a modified form of the Glasgow pain scale in a veterinary teaching centre in the Netherlands.Vet Rec. 2008; 162: 403-408
Roughan JV, Flecknell PA, Orr H. Behavioral assessment of post-operative pain and analgesic effects of carprofen in the domestic rabbit. Abstracts presented at: the World Congress of Veterinary Anesthesia. Knoxville (TN), 17–20 September, 2003. Vet Anaesth Analg 2004;31:282–91.
- Behavioural effects of ovariohysterectomy and oral administration of meloxicam in laboratory housed rabbits.Res Vet Sci. 2009; 87: 336-347
- Thermoregulatory responses of restrained versus unrestrained rabbits.Life Sci. 1975; 17: 901-905
- Relationship between physiological factors and clinical pain in dogs scored using a numerical rating scale.J Small Anim Pract. 1998; 39: 469-474
- Assessment of post-laparotomy pain in laboratory mice by telemetric recording of heart rate and heart rate variability.BMC Vet Res. 2007; 3: 16
- The association between heart rate, heart rate variability, endocrine and behavioural pain measures in horses suffering from laminitis.J Vet Med A Physiol Pathol Clin Med. 2004; 51: 218-225
- A simple method for assessing analgesic requirements and efficacy in rodents.Lab Anim (NY). 2009; 38: 246-247
- The effects of perioperative pain management techniques on food consumption and body weight after laparotomy in rats.Anesth Analg. 2005; 101 ([table of contents]): 1112-1116
- The effects of buprenorphine, nalbuphine and butorphanol alone or following halothane anaesthesia on food and water consumption and locomotor movement in rats.Lab Anim. 1992; 26: 180-189
- Use of animals in research.Vet Rec. 1991; 128: 531
- Tonic pain and social behavior in male rabbits.Behav Brain Res. 1988; 31: 169-175
- Effects of formalin-induced pain on exploratory behaviour in rabbits.Neuroreport. 1993; 4: 739-742
- Chapter 21. Opioid analgesics.in: Brunton L.L. Lazo J.S. Parker K.L. Goodman & Gilman's the pharmacological basis of therapeutics. 11th edition. McGraw-Hill Companies, New York (NY)2010 (p. 547–90)
- Peripheral mechanisms of opioid analgesia.Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2009; 9: 3-8
- Involvement of mu- and kappa-, but not delta-, opioid receptors in the peristaltic motor depression caused by endogenous and exogenous opioids in the guinea-pig intestine.Br J Pharmacol. 2002; 135: 741-750
- Opioid agonist/antagonist effect of naloxone in modulating rabbit jejunum contractility in vitro.J Physiol Pharmacol. 2006; 57: 439-449
- Pre- and post-synaptic effects of spiradoline and U-50488H, selective kappa opioid receptor agonists, in isolated ileum.Scand J Gastroenterol. 1992; 27: 295-302
- Electroacupuncture reversed the inhibition of intestinal peristalsis induced by intrathecal injection of morphine in rabbits.Chin Med J (Engl). 1993; 106: 220-224
- Assessment of the analgesic action of opioid agonist-antagonists in the rabbit.J Assoc Vet Anaesthetics. 1990; 17: 24-29
- Pharmacokinetics of butorphanol tartrate in rabbits.Am J Vet Res. 1992; 53: 541-543
- Respiratory and cardiovascular effects of buprenorphine in conscious rabbits.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2008; 35: 326-332
- The effect of buprenorphine on the course of disease in laboratory rabbits infected with myxoma virus.Lab Anim. 1999; 33: 252-257
Barter LS, Kwaitkowski AE. Thermal threshold testing for evaluation of analgesics in rabbits. Paper presented at: Annual Meeting American College of Veterinary Anesthesiologists. Chicago (IL), September 10, 2009.
- Neuroleptanalgesia in the rabbit.Lab Anim. 1983; 17: 104-109
- Induction of anaesthesia with either midazolam or propofol in rabbits premedicated with fentanyl/fluanisone.Vet Rec. 2009; 164: 803-806
- Evaluation of fentanyl transdermal patches in rabbits: blood concentrations and physiologic response.Comp Med. 2001; 51: 239-244
- Local and regional anesthetic and analgesic techniques: cats.in: Tranquilli W.J. Thurmon J.C. Grimm K.A. Lumb & Jones' veterinary anesthesia and analgesia. 4th edition. Blackwell Publishing, Ames (IA)2007 (p. 595–603)
- Anatomy of the lumbosacral spinal cord in rabbits.J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2001; 37: 27-34
Burke A, Smyth E, FitzGerald GA. Chapter 26. Analgesic-antipyretic and antiinflammatory agents; pharmacotherapy of gout. In: Brunton LL, Lazo JS, Parker KL, editors. Goodman & Gilman's the pharmacological basis of therapeutics. 11th edition. New York (NY): McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010.
- Pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in rabbits after single and repeat oral dosing.Comp Med. 2006; 56: 63-67
- Anesthesia and analgesia for small mammals and birds.Vet Clin North Am Exot Anim Pract. 2007; 10: 293-315
- Prolongation of lidocaine-induced epidural anesthesia by medium molecular weight hyaluronic acid formulations: pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic studies in the rabbit.Anesth Analg. 1995; 80: 740-746
- Assessment of the hemodynamic effects of lidocaine administered IV in isoflurane-anesthetized cats.Am J Vet Res. 2005; 66: 661-668
- Effects of lidocaine administration on hemodynamics and cytokine responses to endotoxemia in rabbits.Crit Care Med. 2000; 28: 755-759
- A comparison of ketamine-midazolam and ketamine-medetomidine combinations for induction of anaesthesia in rabbits.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2008; 35: 113-121
- Hemodynamic effects of medetomidine in the dog: a dose titration study.Vet Surg. 1998; 27: 612-622
- The hemodynamic effects of medetomidine continuous rate infusions in the dog.Vet Anaesth Analg. 2010; 37: 197-206
- Role of N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonists in postoperative pain management.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2009; 22: 618-622
- Effects of norketamine enantiomers in rodent models of persistent pain.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2008; 90: 676-685
- Investigation of the pharmacokinetics and determination of tramadol in rabbit plasma by a high-performance liquid chromatography-diode array detector method using liquid-liquid extraction.J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2005; 816: 203-208
- Pharmacokinetics of orally administered tramadol in domestic rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus).Am J Vet Res. 2008; 69: 979-982
- Effect of intravenous administration of tramadol hydrochloride on the minimum alveolar concentration of isoflurane in rabbits.Am J Vet Res. 2009; 70: 945-949
The author has nothing to disclose.