- •Dental disease is a commonly encountered problem in guinea pigs and rabbits.
- •Even minor changes in the diet or digestive process can lead to significant gastrointestinal (GI) disease in guinea pigs and rabbits.
- •Diarrheal disease is common and frequently results from alterations in intestinal microflora balance.
- •Several cases of dilatation have been documented in guinea pigs.
- •Rabbits secrete higher levels of gastric acid and pepsin than do rats and guinea pigs, likely contributing to their higher incidence of gastric ulceration.
- •Signs of lead toxicity in rabbits include neurologic presentations, such as seizures, torticollis, and blindness, but more common signs may be nonspecific and include anemia, anorexia, loss of body condition, and GI stasis.
- •One of the authors has documented 16 cases of liver torsion in rabbits at a single referral institution in 5 years.
Dental disease, gastrointestinal stasis, and dysbiosis in guinea pigs and rabbits
Gastrointestinal hypomotility and stasis
Dysbiosis and Antibiotic-associated Enterotoxemia
Gastrointestinal Disease in the Guinea Pig
Gastric dilation and volvulus
Gastrointestinal Disease in the Rabbit
Rabbit enteric coronavirus
Rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus
Liver Lobe Torsion
- Pathophysiology of dental disease in the rabbit, guinea pig, and chinchilla.J Exo Pet Med. 2008; 17: 70-77
- Diagnosis and treatment of dental disease in pet rodents.J Exo Pet Med. 2008; 17: 114-123
- The progressive syndrome of acquired dental disease in rabbits.J Exo Pet Med. 2007; 16: 146-157
- Diagnosis and treatment of dental disease in pet rabbits.J Exo Pet Med. 2008; 17: 107-113
- Clinical technique: normal dental radiography of rabbits, guinea pigs, and chinchillas.J Exo Pet Med. 2008; 17: 78-86
- Clinical technique: dental endoscopy of rabbits and rodents.J Exo Pet Med. 2008; 17: 87-92
- Clinical technique: application of computed tomography for diagnosis of dental disease in the rabbit, guinea pig, and chinchilla.J Exo Pet Med. 2008; 17: 93-101
- Clinical technique: small exotic companion mammal dentistry– anesthetic considerations.J Exo Pet Med. 2008; 17: 102-106
- Anesthesia and analgesia in rabbits and rodents.J Exo Pet Med. 2012; 21: 7-16
- Clinical technique: feeding hay to rabbits and rodents.J Exo Pet Med. 2012; 21: 80-86
- Clinical technique: treatment of periapical infections in pet rabbits and rodents.J Exo Pet Med. 2008; 17: 124-131
- Rabbits: gastrointestinal diseases.in: Quesenberry K.E. Carpenter J.W. Ferrets, rabbits, and rodents: clinical medicine and surgery. 3rd edition. Saunders Elsevier, St Louis (MO)2012: 193-204
- Rabbit gastroenterology.Veterinary Clin North Am Exot Anim Pract. 2005; 8: 351-375
- Disease problems of guinea pigs.in: Quesenberry K.E. Carpenter J.W. Ferrets, rabbits, and rodents: clinical medicine and surgery. 3rd edition. Saunders Elsevier, St Louis (MO)2012: 295-310
- Management of acute gastric dilation in rabbits.J Exo Pet Med. 2007; 16: 168-174
- Successful treatment of a gastric trichobezoar in a Peruvian guinea pig (cavia aperea porcellus).J Exo Pet Med. 2008; 17: 148-151
- Updates and advanced therapies for gastrointestinal stasis in rabbits.Veterinary Clin North Am Exot Anim Pract. 2010; 3: 525-541
- Emergency and critical care of rodents.Vet Clin North Am Exot Anim Pract. 2007; 10: 501-531
- Current approach to rodents and patients.J Exo Pet Med. 2010; 19: 36-55
Rosenthal KL, Harris J, Rankin S. Molecular analysis of the gastrointestinal microbiota of Oryctolagus cuniculus. Proceedings. In Proceedings of the Association of Avian Veterinarians (AAV)/Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians (AEMV) Annual Conference. Seattle (WA): AAV/AEMV; 2011. p. 153.
Johnson DH. The gastrointestinal tract of the rabbit: health and disease (part II). Proceedings. In: Proceeding of the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners (ABVP) Symposium. San Antonio (TX): ABVP; 2012.
Johnson DH. The gastrointestinal tract of the guinea pig: health and disease. Proceedings. In: Proceedings of the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners (ABVP) Symposium. San Antonio (TX): ABVP; 2012.
- Clostridium difficile toxin A excites enteric neurones and suppresses sympathetic neurotransmission in the guinea pig.Gut. 2000; 46: 481-486
- Identification of the cellular receptor of Clostridium spiroforme toxin.Infect Immun. 2012; 80: 1418-1423
- Textbook of rabbit medicine.1st edition. Alden Press, Oxford (UK)2002 (p. 284, 285)
- Pathological and ultrastructural studies on mucoid enteropathy in new zealand rabbits.J Exo Pet Med. 2009; 18: 224-228
- Utilization of cholestyramine resin as a preventative treatment for antibiotic (clindamycin)-induced enterotoxaemia in the rabbit.Lab Anim. 1992; 26: 1-8
- A survey of Clostridium spiroforme antimicrobial susceptibility in rabbit breeding.Vet Microbiol. 2009; 136: 188-191
- Therapeutic efficacy of oral lactobacillus preparation for antibiotic-associated enteritis in guinea pigs.Contemp Top Lab Anim Sci. 2000; 39: 32-38
- Gastric volvulus in guinea pigs: comparison with other species.J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2011; 50: 526-530
- Acute gastric distention in guinea pigs.Lab Anim Sci. 1992; 42: 331-332
- Acute gastric dilation associated with gastric volvulus in the guinea pig.Lab Anim Sci. 1977; 27: 685-686
- Gastric dilation-volvulus in a guinea pig (Cavia porecllus).J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2010; 46: 174-180
- Rodents: digestive system disorders.in: Keeble E. Meredith A. BSAV manual of rodents and ferrets. British Small Animal Veterinary Association, Gloucester (United Kingdom)2009: 123-141
- Guinea pig.in: Percy D.H. Barthold S.W. Pathology of laboratory rodents and rabbits. 2nd edition. Blackwell Publishing, Ames (IA)2001: 209-247
- Proliferative enteropathy.J Comp Pathol. 2000; 122: 77-100
- Death and diarrhea in guinea pigs (Cavia porcellus).Lab Anim. 2009; 38: 189-191
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumor in a guinea pig: a case report.Acta Vet Brno. 2009; 78: 287-291
- Gastric acid and pepsin secretion in conscious rabbits.Am J Physiol. 1991; 261: G295-G304
- Gastric ulceration in the rabbit.J Comp Pathol. 1980; 90: 475-481
- Histology of experimental stress ulcer: the effects of cimetidine on adrenaline gastric lesions in the rabbit.Br J Exp Pathol. 1981; 62: 411-418
- Stress ulcer induced by hypovolemic shock in female rabbit.Anat Histol Embryol Zentral Vet. 1977; 6: 94
Van der Hage M, Dorrestein GM. Cecal impaction in the rabbit: relationship with dysautonomia. Paper presented at the 6th World Rabbit Conference Lempdes. France, July 9–12, 1996. p. 77–80.
- Mudoid enteropathy in UK rabbits: dysautonomia confirmed.Vet Rec. 1996; 139: 323-324
- Prevalence and characteristics of enteropathogenic Escheria coli with the eae gene in diarrhoeic rabbits.Microbiol Immunol. 1997; 41: 77-82
- Enzootic enteropathogenic Escheria coli infection in laboratory rabbits.J Clin Microbiol. 2012; 50: 2353-2358
- Persistent conjunctival papilloma due to oral papillomavirus infection in a rabbit in New Zealand.J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2007; 46: 69-71
- Oral papillomatosis in New Zealand white rabbits.Am J Vet Res. 1985; 46: 664-668
- Preliminary report on the isolation of a coronavirus in the intestine of the laboratory rabbit.Can J Microbiol. 1980; 26: 1204-1208
- Isolation and characterization of a novel Betacoronavirus subgroup A coronavirus, rabbit coronavirus HKU14, from domestic rabbits.J Virol. 2012; 86: 5481-5496
- Rotavirus disease, but not infection and development of intestinal histopathological lesions, is age restricted in rabbits.Virology. 1998; 251: 343-360
- Epidemiology of naturally occurring rotavirus infection in rabbits.Lab Anim Sci. 1986; 36: 153-156
- Rotavirus infection impairs intestinal brush-border membrane Na+ - solute cotransport activities in young rabbits.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2000; 279: G587-G596
- Rabbit hemorrhagic disease (RHD) and rabbit haemorrhagic disease virus (RHDV): a review.Vet Res. 2012; 43: 1-19
- Histo-blood group antigens act as attachment factors of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus infection in a virus strain-dependent manner.PLoS Pathog. 2011; 7: e1002188
- Adenovirus-based oral vaccine for rabbit hemorrhagic disease.Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2012; 145: 277-282
- Development of molecular assays for the identification of the 11 Eimeria species of the domestic rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus).Vet Parasitol. 2011; 176: 275-280
- Cryptosporidium sp. rabbit genotype, a newly identified human pathogen.Emerg Infect Dis. 2009; 15: 829-830
- Experimentally induced chronic aflatoxicosis in rabbits.Am J Vet Res. 1980; 41: 1841-1845
- An outbreak of aflatoxicosis in Angora rabbits.Vet Hum Toxicol. 1991; 33: 159-161
- Gastric dilation and intestinal obstruction in 76 rabbits.Vet Rec. 2007; 161: 409-414
- Billiary cystadenoma in a rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus).J Exo Pet Med. 2010; 19: 177-182
- Neurologic and musculoskeletal diseases.in: Quesenberry K.E. Carpenter J.W. Ferrets, rabbits, and rodents: clinical medicine and surgery. 3rd edition. Saunders Elsevier, St Louis (MO)2012: 245-256
Graham JE. GI stasis in rabbits: when it’s not just “ileus”. Proceedings. In: Proceedings of the Association of Avian Veterinarians (AAV) Symposium. Louisville (KY): AAV; 2012. p. 71–4.
- Successful outcome of hepatectomy as treatment for liver lobe torsion in four domestic rabbits.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2011; 238: 1176-1183
Graham JE. Liver lobe torsion in rabbits. Proceedings. In: Proceedings of the Association of Avian Veterinarians (AAV) Symposium. Louisville (KY): AAV; 2012. p. 83.
The authors have nothing to disclose.