- •Ovarian cysts are nonfunctional, fluid-filled cysts that develop spontaneously near the ovaries throughout the female guinea pig’s reproductive cycle.
- •Cysts are associated with elevated hormones, such as estrogen, leading to irregular reproductive cycles, persistent heat, hair loss, and infertility.
- •Fertility is reduced in affected females older than 15 months.
- •Potentially serious uterine disorders (eg, leiomyomas, uterine cancer) can occur in conjunction with cysts.
- •Permanent treatment requires ovariohysterectomy or ovariectomy. Some guinea pigs may respond to medical management with specific hormone injections, sometimes coupled with palliative fluid removal from the cysts.
Human Chorionic Gonadotropin
Other unproven hormonal therapies
- Granulosa cell tumor in a guinea pig.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2001; 218: 726-728
- Serous cysts are a benign component of the cyclic ovary in the guinea pig with an incidence dependent upon inhibin bioactivity.J Vet Med Sci. 2002; 64: 129-135
- Reproductive failure associated with cystic rete ovarii in guinea pigs.Vet Pathol. 1987; 24: 335-339
- Ovarian cysts in guinea pigs: influence of age and reproductive status on prevalence and size.J Small Anim Pract. 2003; 44: 257-260
- Spontaneous reproductive tract leiomyomas in aged guinea-pigs.J Comp Pathol. 1989; 101: 287-294
- Serous cystadenoma formation in guinea pig ovaries.J Submicrosc Cytol. 1981; 13: 337-345
- Ultrasonic diagnosis of ovarian cysts in ten guinea pigs.Vet Radiol Ultrasound. 1999; 40: 74-76
- Mayer J. Donnelly T.M. Clinical veterinary advisor birds and exotic pets. Saunders, St. Louis (MO)2013: 269-271
- The use of GnRH to treat cystic ovaries in a Guinea pig.Exotic DVM. 2003; 5: 36
- Effects of deslorelin implants on ovarian cysts in guinea pigs.Schweiz Arch Tierheilkd. 2011; 153: 416-417
- Soft tissue surgery.in: Quesenberry K.E. Carpenter J.W. Ferrets, rabbits, and rodents clinical medicine and surgery. Elsevier, St. Louis (MO)2012: 327-329