Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Veterinary Clinics: Exotic Animal Practice
- Pet Population report 2022.Accessed August 15, 2022.)
Home Office. Statistics of Scientific Procedures on living animals, Great Britain 2018. UK government document publised by the Home Office. Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/statistics-of-scientific-procedures-on-living-animals-great-britain-2018. Accessed August 15, 2022.
American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) U.S. Pet ownership & demographics sourcebook. 2007. Available at: https://www.avma.org/resources/reports-statistics/market-research-statistics-us-pet-ownership-2007. Accessed August 15, 2022.
American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) U.S. Pet ownership & demographics sourcebook. 2018. Available at: https://www.avma.org/resources-tools/reports-statistics/us-pet-ownership-statistics. Accessed August 15, 2022.
- Current British attitudes to perioperative analgesia for cats and small mammals.Vet Rec. 1999; 145: 601-604
- Current British attitudes to perioperative analgesia for dogs.Vet Rec. 1999; 145: 95-99
- Reported analgesic administration to rabbits, pigs, sheep, dogs and non-human primates undergoing experimental surgical procedures.Lab Anim. 2009; 43: 232-238
- Reported analgesic administration to rabbits undergoing experimental surgical procedures.BMC Vet Res. 2011; 7: 12
- Pain and analgesia in pet rabbits within the veterinary environment: a review.Vet Anaesth Analgesia. 2019; 46: 151-162
- Side effects of pain and analgesia in animal experimentation.Lab Animal. 2017; 46: 123-128
- Guidelines for the assessment and management of pain in rodents and rabbits.J America Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2007; 46: 97-108
- Predicting caregiver burden in general veterinary clients: Contribution of companion animal clinical signs and problem behaviors.Vet J. 2018; 236: 23-30
Barter, L. Rabbit Analgesia. Vet Clin North Am Exot Anim Pract, 14, 2011, 93–104.
- Recognition and alleviation of pain in laboratory animals.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2009: 47-69
- Analgesia and pain management in rabbits.Vet Nurs J. 2016; 31: 149-153
- Behavioural effect of ovariohysterectomy and oral administration of meloxicam in laboratory housed rabbits.Res Vet Sci. 2009; 87: 336-347
- Postoperative pain behaviours in rabbits following orthopedic surgery and effect of observer presence.PLoS One. 2020; 15: e:0240605
- Development of the Bristol rabbit pain scale (BRPS): a multidimensional composite pain scale specific to rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus).PLoS One. 2021; 16: e:0252417
Oglesbee BL, Lord B. Gastrointestinal Diseases of Rabbits. Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents 2020:174–87. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-323-48435-0.00014-9.
- A model for clinical evaluation of perioperative analgesia in rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus).J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2010; 49: 845-851
- Evaluation of a short duration behaviour-based post-operative pain scoring system in rats.Eur J Pain. 2003; 7: 397-406
- Evaluation of using behavioural changes to assess post-operative pain in the guinea pig (Cavia porcellus).PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0161941
- Behavioural alterations and severity of pain in cats recovering at home following elective ovariohysterectomy or castration.J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2007; 231: 236-242
- Development of a behaviour based scale to measure acute pain in dogs.Vet Rec. 2001; 148: 525-531
- . Potential behavioural indicators of post-operative pain in male laboratory rabbits following abdominal surgery.Anim Welfare. 2011; 20: 225-237
- Pharmacokinetics of meloxicam in rabbits after single and repeat oral dosing.Comp Med. 2006; 56: 63-67
- Evaluating pain and analgesia effectiveness following routine castration in rabbits using behavior and facial expressions.Frontieres Vet Sci. 2022; 9: 782486
- Are we looking in the wrong place? Implications for behavioural based pain assessment in rabbits (Oryctolagus Cuniculi) and beyond.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e13347
- Neonatal facial coding system for assessing post operative pain in infants: Item reduction is valid and feasible.The Clin J Pain. 2003; 19: 353-363
- The consistency of facial expressions of pain: a comparison across modalities.Pain. 1992; 51: 297-306
- Coding facial expressions of pain in the laboratory mouse.Nat Methods. 2010; 7: 447-449
- Evaluation of EMLA cream for preventing pain during tattooing in rabbits: Changes in physiological, behavioural and facial expression responses.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e44437
- Reliability and construct validity of a composite pain scale for rabbits (CANCRS) in a clinical environment.PLoS One. 2020; 15: e0221377
- The mouse grimace scale: a clinically useful tool?.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0136000
- Real-time application of the Rat Grimace Scale as a welfare refinement in laboratory rats.Scientific Rep. 2016; 6: 31667
- A composite pain scale to recognize abdominal pain and its variation over time in response to analgesia in rabbits.Vet Anaesth Analgesia. 2022; 49: 323-328
- Development of a behaviour based measurement tool with defined intervention level for assessing acute pain in cats.J Small Anim Pract. 2014; 55: 622-629
- Application of an equine composite pain scale and its association with plasma adrenocorticotrophic hormone concentrations and serum cortisol concentrations in horses with colic.Equine Vet Educ. 2020; 32: 20-27
- Behavioural assessment of post-operative pain and analgesic effects of carprofen in the domestic rabbit.Proc 8th World congress Vet Anaesth. 2004; 31: 1-71
- Effects of multimodal analgesia with low dose buprenorphine and meloxicam on fecal glucocorticoid metabolites after surgery in New Zealand White Rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus).J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2013; 52: 571-576
- Pain management in animals.Harcourt Publishers Ltd, London, UK2000: 53-79